Thursday, September 20, 2012

N Scale L Class Electric Part the Fourth

Well it is nearly finished, just have to do another set of numbers and weather... the later is very important because...

I was feeling lazy and decided to hand paint on the yellow rather than mask and spray. In the end it probably took me longer and more effort, however I wanted to document the process for those modellers without air brushes how to get a good effect.

Here is the (almost) finished article prior to weathering:

When weathered the colour (which is a Citadel "Bad Moon Yellow" paint from Games Workshop) will blend in with the decals and the paint imperfections will go away... well that is the plan!

To get to this stage I first:

Applied a grey undercoat. I should have used a lighter grey. It is good practice to put a grey undercoat under colours like yellow and red to give depth.

This yellow (like many) is quite "thin" so I applied a number of light coats of paint.

Layer one looks terrible!

Layer 2 not much better!

Layer 3 is getting there.

Layer 4 are we there yet! yup good enough base to then weather!

Now to do the last few decals and then the fun part, making it look dirty!



Tuesday, September 18, 2012

N Scale L Class Electric Part the Third

Managed to do the decals in the last two days, the following pictures show what it looks like on the second test, just about right!

It looks like we need to modify the master to remove the old MU? connectors on the ends so the decal fits. These may have to then be a seperately applied part. You can see where I cut them off after I had applied the decals, I think a coat of paint and weathering will fix it up!

Here it is side on. the decals are in four parts, the cab ends and stripes around to the cab doors is one large decal, the stripes top and bottom on the side are the next two. you can see where the decals overlap by a bit.

I was going to try and do another decal that goes over the nose, however I think this will need to be painted, that will be the subject of the fourth part!

Sunday, September 16, 2012

N Scale L Class Electric Part the Second

Again busy with work, however I have a coat of blue paint on the L and the decal artwork underway...

During the week the Bachman/Graham Farish Class 31 Mech turned up, as did some Kato Pantographs. So motivated this afternoon I set to work.... here is where I'm at.

The Panto is just sitting on there for effect until the paint job is finished.

The Bachman mech runs pretty good, but is not DCC ready unfortunately :(. It takes a bit of filing (about 30-45 mins of filing and test fitting) to get the shell to nestle down on the mech. This images shows the comparison between an unmodified mech and the filed down one.
The bogies are tricky as by cutting off the moulded on coupler the bogie sideframes will no longer "clip" on to the bogie. Instead I had to use some Selly's "Plastics Glue" (available from Supermarkets) to glue the Delrin parts together.

I had better get on with the decals now!