Saturday, December 28, 2013

Got Ballast? QN and QR wagons

In between surfing sessions, and late at night, I've been taking the opportunity of summer holidays to do some more 3D modelling...

I am very pleased at how the QN wagon has come together. I have learnt a few new techniques doing this model, such as copying geometry. I have also found that Cubify design does not like working on the origin... it is better to place the wagon so that it is clear of the origin so everything is positive or negative.

I have the QR at the printers, it should be here along with a new version of the VFTY in a week or so.

Need appropriate bogies for them as well :)

What to do next....



Saturday, December 21, 2013

Another FQX Update

I returned home this weekend to find a parcel from China with the final samples. I am very pleased with the results, hope you are too! Click on the pictures for a bigger view.

Preorders with a $10 discount are still available until the 13th of Jan.

The etchings and detail on the ends, including wire hand grabs and the brake hose.

 There are four different body styles. Two for Vic, one for NSW and one for SA.

Two different brake gear setups (Vic/SA and NSW).

It will be a shame to cover the deck with containers...

These models will go around a 9" curve (greater is much better, around 11" is what I recommend) and track nicely unloaded.

The bogies are to our own design and the model is fitted with Micro-trains 2001 couplers so the riding height of the model is nice and low.




Tuesday, December 10, 2013

FQX Update

Here is a picture of the assembled and painted samples.

Waiting on some more wheels to be produced then the models should be shipped.



Some More 3D

Hi everyone,

have recently returned home after three weeks overseas for work, including Canada with a foot of snow and -17 degrees... brrrrrrrr

Before I left I sent a few items off to the printers, I was really looking forward to coming home to see them :)

the first is one of the most requested Victorian models in N scale. A few have been scratch built, however they have proven very difficult to cast due to their long length and delicate uprights.

The VFTY were built in 1979 used for carrying timber as a replacement for the IT wagons, many of which were being used on the Orbost line and pass through Nowa Nowa... so I had to have some.

I have a little bit more detail work to do and a slight rethink on the underframe as it is bowing a little (although it is is bowing "up", a bit like the real wagons). These will then be sold on Shapeways as a three pack for around $65. I will sell decals, couplers and bogies separately.

I also wanted to see how far I could push things, so I made this staff exchange platform :

It is designed to be buried in the ground, I have done two versions, with and without the back railing.

I am very happy with both projects, more to follow when I can get more time!